Friday 18 November 2016

A Midsummer Nights Dream Blog: Week 3

Tuesday, 4/10/16:


Today was unfortunately not very useful for me. We did get a fair few scenes blocked although I never got to actually try any of them out since they were either being done with the opposite cast or we ran out of time. Jack and Daniella went through the second scene with Lysander and Hermia. I did observe this while it was happening since they were doing the basic blocking but I couldn't really take it all in since the process was very slow for what is something very basic and I kept looking at my lines when it seemed like it wasn't moving along so I distracted myself unintentionally.

I am glad that I used this time to look over Theseus though and see what I can make of him continuing on from what I said about him last week. A thought that occurred to me today is whether or not that considering if he's offended or not is a little too much. I only say this because considering it's theatre for children does that mean thinking about that would be a little too complex and that I really should just root it in simplicity and present merely a confident leader. This did genuinely confuse me for a bit due to us combining two very different styles but during the session I came to the conclusion that I could probably just use the extra information and motives to add subtleties to the scene and my acting like I would in Shakespeare but then play them up a bit more for the children. An example I have is when Egea says "This man hath bewitched the bosom of my child". If I decide that he actually offended by this since it goes against his culture then I could act it out as I would normally first by having a slight expression of anger/surprise and once I'm used to it gradually up the energy in my face and make the expression a little more silly and over the the top. I feel that if I go with this then it's a good way top combine the two style and end up with a result which does them justice as well as just being plain entertaining.






Wednesday, 5/10/16:


Today there was unfortunately quite a few cast members missing which meant we couldn't really block much more material today. Although we were able to block my scene during the second act where I'm in the woods with Hermia. Although this scene had already technically been blocked with Jack A, it was my first chance to run through it properly. Overall it went OK but I seriously think that as of now I'm fairly bland as Lysander, I'm still having a tough time figuring him out. During this scene it was meant to be played with a lot of passion, surprise and even anger in some regards but since I'm using my script as well as some issues with timing and energy it's not coming across that well which is something I need to work on.

So to try and resolve this I'll have to research the verse forms and see if that helps me as well as just go over my lines to actually remember them. Once this is done hopefully the awkwardness of the moments will go away and I have to up my energy, say the lines with conviction like I mean it like I'm really in love with this girl and she's in love with me. I know I have to ham it up even without considering my dialogue pacing and structure but to be honest while I love the idea of doing that I think when I get in there I'm probably a little worried about doing it and going to far. Yes I said before that doing too much is better than too little but I just feel I'm subconsciously putting a limit on myself which is something I really shouldn't be doing.

Jack A and Daniella blocked some more sappy romantic moments such as blowing kisses to each other and they have as I've said done the basic blocking for the scene. I do feel it's a little awkward when watching it back and that it could do with a bit of tweaking but with practice and maybe hamming it up more like suggested then I think it could be good. When I spoke about finding the comedic potential I think this is more what I was talking about, it's not really with in his speech, it's in his actions which needs to come from me. As of now I don't have any ideas that I could add since I was mainly trying to get a hang of the basic blocking which I still think could do with a bit of work.






Thursday, 6/10/16:

Today since I didn't really get a chance to do much new I thought I'd research further into the use of verse in Shakespeare in preparation for when I have to apply it.

Something I found that I either forgot about or just didn't get told in the lesson is that the use of verse depends on what kind of character is saying it and what kind of theme or situation is being discussed.

As far as I can tell they can depend on the status of the character meaning that the Athenians in the play such as Lysander or Theseus would be written in blank/rhyming verse and characters like the mechanicals would speak in prose since the former are high ranking citizens of a generally sophisticated culture where as the others are low level amateur performers and they are not exactly good at what they do so they certainly have a much lower status than the others. Going through my script briefly this seems to be the case because both Theseus and Lysanders lines seem to either have 10 or 11 syllables and the Flute lines seem to have no structure and seem almost natural although still in Elizabethan English with the exception of the moments where he is playing Thisbe which goes to a combination of Rhyming verse and Prose since each sentence has either less or more syllables than typical rhyming verse does. As I've said I will go through my script and mark it soon. The main difference I feel this may bring across if executed well is that it will bring out the personalities/characteristics and status more since someone who speaks in a more controlled, structured and overall more fluid manner seems more sophisticated and intellectual so subconsciously implying their status by itself. Of course that's just one element and I'm incorporating that into the acting so the characters are different from one-another.






Research links: 

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/k/king-henry-iv-part-1/critical-essays/shakespeares-use-of-verse-and-prose

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/dramatwelfthnight/twelfthnight_language/revision/1/

http://www.shmoop.com/midsummer-nights-dream/writing-style.html

http://www.shmoop.com/midsummer-nights-dream/characterization.html

No comments:

Post a Comment